Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Blue Moon Café


The Stats
Restaurant: Blue Moon Cafe
Location: Fells Point, Baltimore

Style: Breakfast, Diner
Price Range: $5-$10 per plate



Good evening, gourmands! I hope you enjoyed my guide to getting the most out of Restaurant Week. This post, and many subsequent posts, will be devoted to reviewing the many great dining establishments that I have had the pleasure of visiting. Since this is the metaphorical dawn of my journey down culinary lane, tonight I will be sharing with you one of my favorite breakfast restaurants: Blue Moon Cafe. A narrow row house nestled in the heart of historic Fells Point, this unique place offers a clever twist on the American diner, and it's doors are open 24 hours on the weekends. One of the reasons I love this place is because there is something delicious for every type of eater: the meat-muncher, the carb-craver, the sweet-tooth, and even the vegetarian. So do I have your attention yet? Let me outline some of my favorite menu choices:

Cinnamon Bun: You may notice the scintillating smell of dough lingering in the air as you approach the restaurant. This aroma is coming from the legendary Cinnamon Buns that Blue Moon offers. I feel like this may be an appropriate time to mention that I am not crazy about sweets. Of course, if you stick a Boston Creme on a plate in front of me I guarantee it won't last long, but in general, if I'm choosing between sweet and savory I'll opt for the latter. So the fact that I mentioned the Cinnamon Bun first is no accident. It is unbelievable. The just-barely baked dough drenched in gooey cinnamon sugar sauce practically took my breath away. 



Vegetarian Potato Pancakes: Usually I run away screaming from anything labeled with the "V-word," but I'm very glad I gave these jazzy latkes a chance. Blanketed in cheese and flavor-packed vegetables, they did not disappoint any of the taste buds. 
 I apologize for the blurry quality, I only had my cell phone camera and I couldn't help but document its beauty!


Biscuits and Gravy: Maybe you've guessed by now that this restaurant isn't really Atkins friendly. So throw that darned diet book out the door and tuck into some carbs on carbs. There's no better place to do this with than the classic Biscuits&Gravy dish. Two flaky, buttery biscuits absolutely drenched in a creamy, peppery gravy. This is one of my favorite stick-to-your-ribs comfort foods.



Capn' Crunch Crusted French Toast: The Cafe's signature dish. I'm pretty sure it speaks for itself. This isn't an order that I get every time, but that doesn't mean it isn't one of the best breakfast dishes I've ever tried. The one thing that stands out about the dish is the way the cereal coating makes the outside of the toast so crispy, while the interior remains fluffy. The conversational textures make a great vehicle for your maple syrup river.



Now that you're salivating, let me tell you a little bit about the restaurant, itself. The decor is full of local art and mis-matched furniture, which lends to a very warm, casual, and trendy atmosphere. Because the place isn't large, you will need to plan to put your name down well in advance (no reservations!). It could take a while. An hour sometimes. I assure you, however, that it is entirely worth the wait. Make sure you go when you are not in a rush, on a nice day where you can enjoy walking around Harbor East. BE CAREFUL- if you put down your name and you leave, if you are not back by the time they call it you will be skipped over. Once again, everything is more than worth the wait. You can also try coming during irregular eating hours on weekends (weekdays they are only open 7am-3pm)
My final tip is to go with a group of friends, order 5-6 dishes and split them between everyone so you don't miss anything! The portions are generous, and the prices are reasonable, and the food is phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment